Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Pumpkin Storytime 10/8/13 and 10/9/2013

Books read: 
Pumpkin heads by Wendell Minor
The Runaway Pumpkin by Kevin Lewis

Other book suggestions:
It's Pumpkin Time! by Zoe Hall
Pumpkin Jack by Will Hubbell
The Pumpkin Book by Gail Gibbons

Mr. Pumpkin
I am Mr. Pumpkin big and round (use hands to stretch up and stretch out to make big stomach)
Once upon a time I grew on the ground. (crouch down)
But now I have a mouth, two eyes and a nose (point to each feature)
What are they for, do you suppose? (shrug shoulders)
When I have a candle inside shining bright (put one fist on top of the other, then move fingers of top hand up to show flame)
I'll be a Jack-O-Lantern on Halloween Night! (jump up and smile)

Once there was a Pumpkin
Once there was a pumpkin
And it grew (join fingers of each hand to make one pumpkin)
And grew (separate the hands keeping the pumpkin formation)
And grew (join hands before you, making a large pumpkin with your arms)
Now it's a Jack-O-Lantern and it smiles at you
And you, and you! (Move pumpkin shape around to greet each child)

Jack-O-Poem
I'm Jack-o-Happy! (smile, use happy voice)
I am Jack-o-Sad! (use crying, whiny voice)
I am Jack-o-Sleepy! (use sleepy voice, yawn)
I am Jack-o-Mad! (use growling, angry voice)
I am Jack-o-Small! (use teeny voice, crouch down)
I am Jack-o-Jumping! (Jump up and down)
I am Jack-o-Tall! (reach up high)
I am Jack-o-Lantern, the best one of all!

I'm a Little Pumpkin (to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot")
I'm a little pumpkin, orange and ground (hold arms in a circle)
Here is my stem, (place fist on your head)
There is the ground. (touch the ground)
When I get all cut up, don't you shout!
Just open me up and scoop me out! (pretend to scoop the pumpkin out)

Pumpkin Search Game:
Oh, where oh where has my pumpkin gone?
Oh, where oh where can it be?
I'm searching and singing my pumpkin song.
Won't you please help me?

Five Little Pumpkins

Five little pumpkins at my door,
A neighbor took one and then there were four.

Four little pumpkin under a tree,
Along came a farmer and then there were three.

Three little pumpkins that looked so new,
I gave one away and then there were two.

Two little pumpkins out in the sun,
Mom made a pie and then there was one.

Of all the pumpkins there was just one,
So I made a Jack-O-Lantern and that was fun!

Pumpkin Count Jumping
Pumpkin cut outs are laid on the floor and labeled with 1-5. The children must jump from pumpkin to pumpkin in correct counting sequence. (Great for number recognition and especially good for kids who learn best through movement)

Literacy tip of the week:
When you are reading to your child and encounter a word they do not understand, don't change or skip the word. If you do, you miss the chance to develop your child's vocabulary by explaining what the word means.

Craft:  
We decorated pumpkins with torn paper :)






No comments:

Post a Comment