Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mittens Storytime 1/14/13 and 1/15/13

Books read:
One Mitten by Kristine O'Connell George
The Mitten by Jan Brett

Other book suggestions:
Runaway Mittens by Jean Rogers
My Red Mittens by Jane Gerver

Winter Pokey
You put your right mitten in. (put hand out)
You take your right mitten out. (move hand behind back)
You put your right mitten in. (put hand out)

And you shake it all about. (shake hand)
You do the winter pokey and you turn yourself around. (turn around in a circle)
That's what it's all about!

You put your left mitten in. (put hand out)
You take your left mitten out. (move hand behind back)
You put your left mitten in. (put hand out)
And you shake it all about (shake hand)
You do the winter pokey and you turn yourself around. (turn around in a circle)
That's what it's all about!

Additional verses include boots, hat and whole self.

Mittens on my Hand (sung to the tune of "The Wheels on the Bus")
The mittens on my hand (put both hands out)
Keep me warm (cross arms and shiver)
Keep me warm.
The mittens on my hands keep me warm.
All winter long!

The hat on my head (hands on head)
Covers my ears. (cover ears)
Covers my ears.
The hat on my hand covers my ears.
All winter long!

The boots on my feet (lift up one foot)
Jump in the snow. (jump)
Jump in the snow.
The boots on my feet jump in the snow.
All winter long!

Mitten Matching (color learning activity)

Mittens
Mittens for the snow time when the world is white.
Mittens for my two hands (hold out both hands)
Mittens left and right (show left and right)
Mittens with a thumb place (show thumb)
Mittens warm and snug.
Mittens make me feel like a bug in a rug. (hug self)

10 Little Mittens (counting activity)
10 little mittens handing on the line.
One went away and then there were nine.

9 little mittens near the gate.
One went away and then there were eight.

8 little mittens blowing near heaven.
One flew off and then there were seven.

7 little mittens hanging near the sticks.
One fell off and then there were six.

6 little mittens by the old beehive.
One came off and then there were five.

5 little mittens very near the door.
One went away and then there were four.

4 little mittens hanging from a tree.
One went away and then there were three.

3 little mittens didn't know what to do.
One went away and then there were two.

2 little mittens drying in the sun.
One went away and then there was one.

1 little mitten didn't want to be alone.
He went away and then there were none.

Literacy tip of the week:
As you read to your child, make sure to ask questions related to the story. This can aide their comprehension and help hold their attention.

Craft:
We decorated "mittens" with yarn :)





No comments:

Post a Comment