Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Butterflies Storytime 4/1/14 and 4/2/14

Book read: 
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Waiting for Wings by Lois Ehlert

Other book suggestions:
Butterfly, Butterfly by Petr Horacek

Butterflies (from Perry Public Library)
Butterflies float,
And butterflies fly.
Butterflies low,
And butterflies high.

Butterflies flutter
Over everything.
And when they stop,
They fold their wings.

Butterfly, Butterfly (from Perry Public Library)
Butterfly, butterfly dancing all around (hook thumbs and fly fingers up and down)
Butterfly, butterfly now you're on the ground (flutter fingers to the floor)
In a tree hard to see, now you've flown away (flutter fingers up and behind back)
Butterfly, butterfly please come back and play (flutter fingers to the front again)

The Life of a Butterfly (to the tune of "Skip to my Lou", from Storytime Katie)
I'm a caterpillar, wiggle with me,
I'm a caterpillar, wiggle with me,
I'm a caterpillar, wiggle with me
What'll I be my darlin'?
(Other verses: chysalis, now sleep with me/ butterfly, come fly with me)

Two Little Butterflies (from Ms. Meg's Storytime)
Two little butterflies sitting on a hill, (both hands out)
One named Jack, and one named Jill.
Fly away Jack, Fly away Jill. (flutter hands behind you, one at a time)
Come back Jack, Come back Jill. (bring hands back in front, one at a time)
Other verses:
Cloud...soft...loud
Stick...slow...quick
Sky...low...high

Five little butterflies (from Perry Public Library)
Five little butterflies resting at the door.
One flew away and then there were four.
Four Little butterflies sitting in a tree,
One flew away and then there were three.
Three little butterflies looking at you,
One flew away and then there were two.
Two little butterflies sitting in the sun,
One flew away and then there were none.

Literacy tip of the week:
Fingerplays (such as "Butterfly, Butterfly" and "Two Little Butterflies") are a great way to build your child's fine motor skills.

Craft: We colored butterflies :)


No comments:

Post a Comment