Thursday, April 10, 2014

Money and Counting Storytime 4/8/14 and 4/9/14

Books read:
Sheep in a Shop by Nancy Shaw
Benny's Pennies by Pat Brisson

Other book suggestions:
Max's Bunny Business by Rosemary Wells
Mouse Count by Ellen Stoll Walsh

I Can Count (to the tune of the Hokey Pokey, from A to Z Kids Stuff)
You put one finger up (raise one finger)
You put one finger down (point finger down)
You put one finger up
And you shake it all around
You give it a shakey-shakey
And you turn it all about (turn around)
And that's how you learn to count!
(continue with as many numbers as desired)

I'm a little cuckoo clock (modified from Born to Read)
Tick tock, tick tock, (rock back and forth)
I just bought a cuckoo clock!
Tick tock, tick tock,
It's one o'clock!
CUCKOO! (jump once)

Tick tock, tick tock,
I just bought a cuckoo clock!
Tick tock, tick tock,
It's two o'clock!
CUCKOO! CUCKOO! (jump twice) 

This Old Man
This old man, he played one, (lift one finger)
He played knick knack on my thumb,
With a knick knack patty wack give a dog a bone, (slap legs then clap)
This old man came rolling home. (roll arms)

This old man, he played two,
He played knick knack on my shoe,
With a knick knack patty wack, give a dog a bone,
This old man came rolling home.

This old man he played three,
He played knick knack on my knee,
With a knick knack patty wack, give a dog a bone,
This old man came rolling home.

1, 2 Shake It On Your Shoe (from Jbrary)
1, 2, shake it on your shoe.
3.4 shake it on the floor.
5. 6 shake it really quick.
7, 8 hold it up straight.
9, 10 shake it with your friends!

"Jumping and Counting" from Jim Gill's "Irrational Anthem" CD

Three Little Dollars (from What Happens in Storytime)
Three little dollar sin a wallet new,
I bought a box of crayons,
And then there were two.
Two little dollars, and before the day was done,
I bought some cookies,
And then there was one.
One little dollar, I heard it plainly say,
"I'm going in the piggy bank for a rainy day!"

Literacy tip: The ordered sequence of events in counting rhymes can help your child develop their narrative, or storytelling, skills.

Craft: We decorated piggy banks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment