Thursday, July 30, 2015

Movement Storytime 7/28/15 and 7/29/15

Books read: 
Toddlerobics: Animal Fun by Nita Newcome
Hop, Hop, Jump! by Jarrett Krosoczka

Other book suggestions: 
From Head to Toe by Eric Carle
Toucan Can by Juliette McIver

ASL Sign of the Week: Dance 

My thumbs are starting to wiggle (from Storytime Allstars, To the tune of “For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow”) 
My thumbs are starting to wiggle.
My thumbs are starting to wiggle.
My thumbs are starting to wiggle,
At the library today!
Continue with other body parts.

Walking, Walking
sung to the tune of "Frere Jacques", from NIEHS
Walking, walking, walking, walking,
Hop, hop, hop! Hop, hop, hop!
Running, running, running, running,
running, running,
Now we stop! Now we stop!
(You can substitute other actions for walking and running, such as swaying, swimming or tapping.)

Come along and march with me (from Storytime Underground)
Come and march along with me,
Along with me.
Come and march along with me,
So early in the morning.
(other actions can include spinning, hopping, bouncing, flying, etc)
 

Monkey See, Monkey Do (from Perry Public Library)
Monkey see, monkey do,
Little monkey in the zoo,
Little monkey in the tree,
Can you (insert action) like me?

Jump up, Turn Around by Jim Gill

Body Rock by Greg and Steve (on Kids in Motion)

Rhyme Game: Say pairs of words. If they rhyme the group jumps, if they don't the group claps.

Movement Cube

Craft:
We colored action cards to take home and and create our own movement cubes.

Literacy tip of the week: Awareness of rhyme is an important skill when children are learning to read. Rhyming games are a great way to practice this skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment